Saturday, December 27, 2008

And so it begins

Much as I have fought against the infamous "blog" I decided it was time to cave in and do it. While I am quite certain teh interwebs doesn't need yet another record of the minutiae of yet another dull persons life (those tubes get full pretty quickly, after all!), I felt I needed a place to record my thoughts about this rather insane time.

As of last month, my husband and I were officially labeled "Infertile" and sent off to visit an RE (reproductive endocrinologist). He will from henceforward be called Dr. Awesome, because he was. It was a very helpful meeting and, after reviewing our medical history, he recommended we do a couple rounds of IUI before considering IVF. Since IUI is about 5% of the cost of IVF in our situation, we figured may as well give it a try. After all, we'd rather spend our money on medical procedures than on, say, a new tv or an exciting trip. Who wouldn't?

The thing with infertility is, no matter how many people around you are seemingly in the same boat, you feel so desperately alone. There is no rhyme or reason to decide who will have success with meds, IUI, IVF, "just relaxing", or just "giving it time." Some couples try for years with nothing to show for it but huge debt and heartache, some get knocked up on their first round of Clomid. No matter how many people tell you how they went through the same thing for years and the doctors said they would never have kids, but they did so you can't give up hope, it doesn't change the fact that their experience isn't yours. I even have family who have struggled with trying to have children...and all but myself have had some degree of success getting pregnant.

So why add yet another blog about infertility to the already busting tomes of whiny blogs? I'm not here to write crappy emo poems about the barren wasteland that is my uterus, or to use terms like "baby dancing" (Gah! It's called sex!!!), if that is what worries people. Mostly, as I've looked back on the last year, there are some seriously messed up things that have happened to me that I find endlessly entertaining. "Infertility isn't funny!" says you...well I say it is, especially when it's happening to someone else. So let my awkward moments be your candle on the water.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous. Great attitude. As I tried to say in another comment (that may have been eaten by blogger), I have endo too and unexplained infertility - so, I intend to follow your adventures, for the company and also to learn anything I can from what you've been through. You're more than welcome to do the same (though I've done precious little in the way of treatment).

    ReplyDelete