Monday, January 26, 2009

Have I really been such a slacker?

Honestly? No updates for a week? I really do suck...sorry to the two people who actually read this.

Yesterday I finished my final dose of Clomid, thank goodness! Why I can't get along with a few tiny white pills is beyond me, but we really aren't friends. (Side note: I keep looking for pharmacist McWhatthehell, but haven't seen him...is it possible that he got fired?) Now it's just the wait before starting the OPKs (ovulation predictor kits), or as I like to call it, the calm before the pee storm. See, a more normal person would take the tests once a day for a few days until they got a positive, then enjoy some intercourse, then get a positive pregnancy test and move on with life. Those of us in the broken insides club, get to take two tests a day for a week or so. "But that doesn't sound like a huge big deal." Did I mention that you have to hold your pee for 4 hours before taking the test? Oh, and it can't be the first pee of the morning either, and my doctor wants me to take the first one no later than 9am and the second one between 5-8 pm. So, do the math.

For those who hate math, basically my week of OPKs goes a little something like this. I'm supposed to start on cycle day 10...I never get a positive this early, but I tell myself to do it anyway since what if this is the one month it comes early. CD10 I set my alarm for 5 am in order to get up and pee. Fun already, no? Then I try to go back to sleep for a few more hours, but usually only get another 45 minutes sleep. When I am about to bust open at 9, I take the morning test: negative. Hey, at least I am free to pee now, right? WRONG! I have to start holding it again at no later than 2 pm...I think you see where I'm going with this. Spend a week of your life having to hold your pee for the better part of the afternoon. It's surprisingly annoying. Oh, did I mention that each test comes as a set of 7 and costs at least $25? This last IUI I spent roughly $55 on OPKs. Those are some pricey pee sticks!

Have I talked about pee enough for you? No? Awesome! Enjoy a pee story that has nothing to do with infertility. I don't worry too much about the holding it for 4 hours. It's annoying, but not impossible for me. I'm pretty much a camel and always have been. When I was 8 I was in the hospital with a pretty serious infection. After surgery to place drainage tubes, it seemed like all was getting better, but they wanted to do a CAT scan to make sure nothing had spread into bones or anything. Don't ask me, I was 8. So the scan takes about an hour and then I am laying in my hospital bed when the doctor comes in to tell me that, "The scan looks good...no areas we need to worry about...but...um..........do you need to use the bathroom?" I respond, "I don't feel like I do, why?" "Well," he says, "according to the scan, your bladder is full enough to be covering a good chunk of your hips. You sure you don't need to go?" I decide that I'd give it a go because, while I've been quite accurate in the past about this sort of thing, I'm no doctor. The fun thing is that the hospital has to keep track of everything, so they measured my pee. Why do I tell you that? Because it was over 850 cc worth. That is just shy of a full liter! What my uterus lacks in effort, my bladder more than makes up for in girth, even back then.

So today is cd8...two more until I become way too aware of my own pee.

By the way, I happy to add people's blogs to my list and vice versa, so stop lurking and say hi!

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried charting your cycles? It may not be as accurate as the OPK, but over a few months it could tell you a lot about what's going on with your body. A good fertility acupuncturist can take your charts and translate them into an entire treatment plan to re-balance your body (find one at www.thefertilesoul.com). Also www.fertilityfriend.com has some great charting tools to get you started. Also check out our blog Healthy Pregnancy as we cover this subject in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With IUI and similar procedures you have to take the OPK tests to see when the LH hormone is raised (LH hormone surges 24-26 hours before ovulation). They have to know beforehand since the goal is to inseminate within 12 or so hours of ovulation. Charting only tells you after the fact if you've ovulated. Not trying to discredit the benefits of learning more about your cycles (and I encourage everyone else to do so), but when you've been diagnosed with infertility, you're typically been charting for at least enough months to know what is going on with your cycle.
    Don't get me wrong, I do think acupuncture and many elements of eastern medicine have their benefits, just as western medicine has it's limitations. At this point, thanks for the heads up, but I have a game plan already set up that I am comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right about the "way too aware" thing - you can't really put the genie back in the bottle. I did have some success putting it out of my mind by ceasing to keep a chart. I guess I'll be going bac to that soon.

    And the pee story - hilarious. Got to be some part of the system in excellent order :)

    ReplyDelete