Saturday, January 17, 2009

No real vacation from infertility

Ah vacations...relaxation...rest...beautiful views...wondering how our IUI turned out and if we'll have to do another one next month or n--Nope...not thinking about that. Enjoying the beautiful weather...smelling the flowers...not at all thinking about what the results of the SA will be.

I'll say this: I had a fantastic time. I really didn't think very much about the IF stuff. The Boy and I had a chat about if we would do another IUI during one of our layovers and then put an embargo on talking about it. We even succeeded at that for the whole week!

The problem is we were not traveling alone. We had some long car rides with family that I had never met, and The Boy hadn't seen in a few years. It was fine, oh, 95% of the time, but the endo came up since I don't eat like a normal american, which in turn opens up the inevitable can of worms I like to call The Question. The Question, as many of you already know, goes a little something like this:

*pleasant conversation about any given topic*
topic gradually turns to my insides (as you know, they are fascinating to the general public!)
I quite gracefully and diplomatically answer the basics about endo: what it is, why it causes pain, things that help. I never give more information than they need for their questions and try not to make a big deal about it. We're talking maybe a sentance or two.
Pleased with myself I try to turn the topic to something less tricky.
Then comes The Question

"So can you have kids?"


Yup. I get asked this question just about every time the endo comes up. Is it any wonder I don't care to talk about it with many people?

It gets better. I will typically answer the question with a polite, but firm, "We don't really know. Endo can cause problems for people, and not for others. We'll deal with all that when the time comes."

Then, since it is not at all their business, they ask, "Well are you trying? How many kids do you want? Do you think you'll have to adopt? How long have you been married for? How old are you? Would you rather not talk about this and get some ice cream instead?"
Ok...one of those questions was not actually asked of me this trip...I'll let you guess which one it was. Not only that, I was asked The Question (and follow-up questions) no less than 3 times on this trip...in 7 days. I typically responded with something along the lines of, "We are happy with where are life is right now." I'd pull out the snark, but I really don't know these people well, and I really want to get invited back on vacation. Besides, most people don't think this is any worse than asking what team you support for the superbowl, and the ones asking me were equally nosey about basically everyone else too. Fair's fair.

Speaking of fair's fair...don't think I sat idly by during all this. I got my own delightfully chilled revenge. You see, this couple provide endless entertainment during the drives by fighting with each other, making loud animal sounds at every cow and chicken we pass by, and making quite a few remarks that made me go "WOW!!!" (like that Obama was going to change the national anthem to rap). Not only did I feast upon the schadenfreude with much delight...I brought home a doggy bag. You see, The Boy was as entertained as I was by the need to yell at each other over whether or not the rain would make the roads slippery to drive on (the verdict, who really can say!), so he pulled out his camera, switched it to movie mode, and let the entertainment flow. When conversation slowed, I would prod with questions like, "So Beth*, do you have any crazy stories?" Boy did she! I'm probably going to hell, but at least I'll have a good laugh on my way down.

I'm still in vacation mode, so no talking about our current round. I'll do that tomorrow.

*Not her real name, obviously. I wish I could post some sound clips, but maybe I'll so a little trascription instead.

1 comment:

  1. people are just awful. on the other hand...i suppose fair's fair if they're nosy with everyone, but then don't you get to pull it out on them? no matter how many kids they have, you can ask why it's that number and why they had them at the age they did (or, if it's zero, why they haven't had any yet).

    i get such delicious pleasure THINKING about saying all these evil things, but in all honesty, i never ever do. BUT SOMEDAY I WILL. i'm just working up to it.

    ReplyDelete